Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Piece of My Childhood

Not all that long ago, my parents really started cleaning out their basement so that they can use it. See, the basement was always filled with boxes of things belonging to my sister and I. A few at a time, my parents were dropping off these boxes of forgotten treasures. Now I have a full basement of boxes.

Among these treasures were a lot of books I had forgotten about. I have so many books it's almost embarrassing. In more recent years, I've tried to cut down on the amount I bring into the house, now refusing to purchase novels and other books I'm only going to look at once. This only makes sense to me, since it helps reduce clutter and the requirement to store these books, and getting them from the library saves me money. Win, win.

Back to my original story... amongst the boxes from my parents I found some of my most favourite books, including my 15 volume set of Charlie Brown 'Cyclopedias, written circa 1980. I loved these books. I read every single one cover to cover when I was around the age of 8. I was a very anxious kid, and reading seemed to help me escape my anxiety, so books like this that made me think and learn were perfect for me.



Now here's the sad part of the story... upon further investigation, I realized I was missing one of my beloved 'cyclopedias. Volume 8, the one about the stars and planets. I was devastated. I called my mom to tell her of my plight and to ask her where she had originally obtained these literary gems. She seemed to think she may have collected them one at a time from a local grocery store or something. She suggested I check eBay for a replacement.

Why didn't I think of that? I'm the IT professional in the family and didn't think to use modern technology to get what I want?!? Clearly, this indicates that I'm in the wrong profession.

I log onto eBay and lo and behold - my Charlie Brown 'Cyclopedia Volume 8, featuring Stars and Planets, for $3.99 USD. YES! I ended up buying it for $3, plus $5 shipping. I couldn't be happier. Thank you eBay!

I cannot wait to read the entire set all over again. It's funny how something like that can bring back such good feelings. Thanks for the 'cyclopedias Mom. Sorry for causing you and Dad so much grief being such an anxious kid - that couldn't have been easy to deal with.

What books did you love as a kid?

4 comments:

PunkRockMom said...

OMG. I am such a sap. Your post made me cry. Crying because it's so sweet that these books make you feel good, crying because you found the replacement for a full set and crying over your apology to your parents. Gah!

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

xoxo

Tara said...

You're so cute. I teared up a bit myself though. My parents did whatever they could to help me manage, but it was hard on them I know.

Now I'm excited to go through my collection of Nancy Drew books!

Jaime said...

I felt that way when I was searching for a book for Angie's baby shower and happened upon the Disney anthology. I had completely forgotten that was one of my favourite books as a kid and it was very cool to able to buy the more recent version for a close friend!

Enjoy your read down memory lane!

Miz said...

ferdinand the bull.

have you read it?

ADORE IT STILL.


MizFit