Friday, March 11, 2011

Weight Lifting for Dummies

Does such a book exist? I'm sure it does.

I should probably read it.

Dummy or not, I went to the gym today with plan to lift weights. Don't worry, I didn't disappoint.

I get very intimidated and overwhelmed going to the gym across the street from my office for a couple of reasons:

1) Several of my male co-workers work out there regularly at lunch. Put them us a treadmill and I can certainly show them up, but put us in front of some weight lifting equipment and ask us to show you a weight lifting routine and I look like a complete fool. Now if they were complete strangers, I wouldn't really care, but I see these people everyday. I will say though, that one of them is such a nice guy, I don't group him with the others.

2) The gym across the street is a dive compared to other installments of the gym chain I can go to. It's stuffy, underground, crazy busy, and cramped. The floor is uneven. I just feel like I'm working out in a prison. At lunchtime though, it's a very convenient option.

Today these things didn't matter.

I went to the gym with a plan of the exercises I wanted to do. At first I was confused, but it didn't take long to figure out where the equipment was that I wanted to use. I got right to it, and didn't care what anyone thought, including my co-workers and the men who think they sound cool when they huff and puff with a set of dumbbells in their hands.

I was proud of myself.

Think I can do it again next week?

No comments: