Friday, March 18, 2011

Where's Goose?

Do you ever get the feeling there's something not quite right but you have a really hard time putting your finger on what exactly is wrong?

*sigh* Welcome to my life. Pull up a chair. I have a story.

I've been feeling like something isn't the way it should be for a couple of months now, and I've really been struggling to put my finger on it. Until the past couple of weeks. Now I've finally figured out what's not in the right place.

It's my control over eating. It's not that I don't have any, but I just feel kind of all over the place. It's like the feeling of knowing how to drive, but not knowing which direction to take.

Everyone knows now that Weight Watchers changed their program in December. I, like millions of other people, am a Weight Watchers alum. I've done the program for years now and have been very successful. The new Points Plus program is not allowing me to be successful. It's not for lack of trying either - I've honestly tried the new program to the best of my ability and I just can't get it to work for me. And I can't be bothered to tweak a program like that to get it to work for me.

So I'm lost. Without my tried and true weight loss program backing me up, I feel like I've lost my wing (wo)man. I'm now officially looking for a new wing (wo)man.* I mean, where's Goose?

Tonight I find myself here:




Can you tell where I am? That's Oprah to the left of me, and Jillian to the right. Here, let me give you a closer look:



That's right - I'm at my local Chapters store. I'm standing in front of the Nutrition & Diets section with a blank, lost look on my face. Overwhelmed. Looking for guidance. Waiting for my next solution to jump off the shelf and hit me in the chest.

That didn't happen.

I mean, LOOK at all of them! The Carb Lovers Diet, The Sonoma Diet, The Biggest Loser Diet, Skinny Bitch, The 17 Day Diet, The 4 Hour Body, Eat to Live, Eat Right 4 Your Type, The Hormone Diet... Gah!

I just don't know what to do now. I need a new solution, but what? There are so many diets out there, how do you choose? What can you manage for the rest of your life? What works? What is based on real science and not just hype?

I brought home two books to check out: 'The Low G.I. Handbook' and 'The South Beach Diet Supercharged'. At the very least, I'm hoping to learn something I don't already know about food and nutrition (doubtful). But I also hope that I might find something to help me feel in control again, in the hopes of losing a few pounds.

*sigh*

Weight Watchers, please bring my old Momentum program back...

*Apply within.

2 comments:

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

I feel the same way about PointsPlus. I refuse to tweak so I went back to Momentum this week and am just using my old materials and paper tracking.

I also try to incorporate as many low GI foods as I can, that seems to help with my PCOS.

I hope you find something that works soon...this whole PP business is so frustrating, what a letdown!

blynn021 said...

Read quit digging your grave with a knife and fork by mike huckabee.

I know where you are coming from. I have lost 60 pounds and still would like to lose 30 more. I've been in a rut. But, here is the thing...It's not the weight loss book or program that is going to change you. It's you.