Friday, February 1, 2008

Some of my food tricks...

There have been so many threads lately about Superbowl Sunday and the food that goes with it that I thought I'd post a few of my little pub food items and how I make them...

Essentially all you need to bread anything is a good high-fibre breading, then you can make all kinds of wonderful appetizers with it. I usually grind up my older bread in my food processor to make my bread crumbs, then I use them for everything!

I make jalapeno poppers by hollowing out my jalapenos, filling them with a combo of FF cream cheese and grated LF cheddar, dip them in egg whites, then bread them with my breadcrumbs seasoned with pepper and maybe a little parmesan. Then just bake em up for about 20 minutes - very good!

I make my "wings" the same way. Just cut up my chicken pieces and dip them in egg whites, then into my seasoned breadcrumbs. Usually I season the breadcrums with BBQ chicken seasoning and some thyme. Then bake em up. Once they're cooked, I toss them in whatever wing sauce I want (Franks Buffalo is super delicious!).

Potato skins are also not so bad for you. You can bake up some potatoes. Hollow them out and save the hollowed out flesh for another meal. Then just sprinkle the skins with LF grated cheddar, some real bacon bits (which are surprisingly not that bad for you), and some green onions. Then just rebake them until the cheese melts. Serve them with salsa and/or sour cream.

Roast veggies in the oven (you could also bread these if you'd like), and serve them with LF peppercorn ranch dressing. A good substitute for deep fried veggies.

Bread up some LF cheese sticks for a mozza stick substitute too.

Also - nacho dip! Mix equal parts FF cream cheese and LF sour cream. Put in a baking dish, cover with salsa and all kinds of veggies if you want. Grate some LF cheese on top and bake until bubbly. Serve with baked tostitos.

1 comment: