Monday, May 25, 2009

Life's Too Short Not to Eat Cake

Life's too short not to eat cake, or ice cream, or cheese. Really.

It amazes me to no end that people are willing to sacrifice good quality, delicious food for the sake of losing weight. Or that they are afraid to eat good food once they realize the amount of calories they're about to ingest. But you know what? Life really is too short not to eat these foods.

For me, it's cake, ice cream, cheese, wine, good bread, or good chocolate. Why would I deprive myself of those things? None of these things are deemed "bad" foods, as long as they're eaten in moderation. Well, cake is probably the worst of the bunch, but still isn't bad for you in moderation.

I had a WW member tell me once that she was at a birthday party one weekend and said no to a slice of cake. You want the punch line? It was her birthday! Yeah, HERS!

I felt awful about it, because I thought it was my fault, that somehow I had led her astray, or given her the wrong impression, or painted cake in a bad light. So I addressed the group of people the following week, just in general, to let them know that it's not one slice of cake that got us here, or even one slice a cake in the course of a week. It's lots of cake, after having eaten pizza and fries, or too many scoops of mashed potatoes, or a double serving of spaghetti. And it's a lifetime of these habits that landed us in a Weight Watchers meeting. It's NOT ONE TIME that gets us, it's a LIFETIME.

So eat cake people! Let's not deprive ourselves of the good foods we love. Just learn to make choices.

Life is just too short not to eat cake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just in case you are wondering, I read your blog. THISISIT2007 from WW.

Gail Waller said...

Sing it, Sister! Deprivation gets you nowhere. Don't buy all of those 100-calorie snacks, or fake food. Have a small piece of something real, and enjoy it to its fullest.

Great blog!

Jenny said...

I totally agree. Moderation is the key. I wouldn't be able to control my weight if I deprived myself on some of my favorite foods. My new thought is QUALITY over QUANTITY! :)