Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Wonders That Are... 100-Calorie Packs

I can't stand these things, and I want everyone to know it. Here's why:

1. Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT new products in those pouches. When you discover a new kind of 100-calorie pack, you haven't discovered a new product people. You've discovered an old product that's had a face lift, and divided into smaller pieces.

2. These things are crazy expensive, considering the amount of product you actually get. For instance, Craisins now come in 100-calorie packs. You get 8 packs of Craisins at 28.3g each (less than 1/3 cup). In the regular bag of Craisins, you get 170 grams. Which do you think is more expensive to buy?

3. The amount of packaging on these things is insane. I mean sure, you can recycle the cardboard box they come in, but the difference in packaging will cause Mother Nature to cough up a lung.

That's all, rant over.

Oh, and here's an interesting article to read:
CTV Article

Any comments? Any 100-calorie packs you can't live without?

2 comments:

OldGoogleAccount said...

ITA Tara. That's why I never buy the things. It's the packaging more than the price (as offensive as it is) that scares the beejesus out of me.

Great Post.

K-Pow said...

THEN: I have to admit that I totally jumped on the 100-cal pack banwagon and overloaded in them. I always had my cupboard stocked with these in several different varieties of these bad boys. The problem with these is that they were all my trigger foods (ie. salty snacks) and I noticed that I would actually consume more points in these handy 100-cal pouches than I would in REAL food.

NOW: I don't buy any of the 100-cal snacks. Instead I eat real food....fruits, veggies, dairy, protein.

The ONLY exception to this is the 100-cal ice creams that I found at Costco. I would normally buy ice cream with a lot more calories but these are obviously just a better choice.