Tuesday, May 15, 2007

First 5K Race Completed - Can't Wait for the Next One!

Wow! What a great experience!

Ran my first 5K race on Sunday with my friend Alexa. It was definitely one of the best experiences I've ever had. There were so many people there, all different shapes and sizes, with so many people out to support us!

My goal for the race was to finish in under 30:00, but once we got there I realized how much that my time really didn't matter at all. Alexa was hoping to finish in under 35:00, so I decided we'd stick together and finish together, which we did. We crossed the finish line together (I'm on the right in the picture), with my finishing time being 34:39. Although I usually run a 5K in about 30 minutes on my own, I was really happy to cross the line with Alexa.

Our families and friends were right there at the finish line to greet us when we crossed. I have to admit that I got a bit emotional, even though it was just a short race. It was just so overwhelming to see Mom and Dad there, with Jennifer and Stephen right there with them. And it felt like such a huge accomplishment for me - going from where I was a couple of years ago to running a road race! I never imagined that I would ever be a runner, let alone race! It was just a very overwhelming experience.

For anyone who has ever had doubts that they could do what I've done - trust me, you can do it! And you should! My entire life has changed, completely turned around. I feel more confident and better with every day that passes. I've also realized that although the physical challenges often feel the most difficult to overcome, it is the mental challenges that really hold us back. If you believe you can do something, you will...

No comments: